Kör-rapporter av S1000RR

I teknikkategorin gäller att vi håller oss till trådämnet. Kommer det in OT kommer detta att raderas. Upprepad ohörsamhet med OT i denna delen av forum kan ge varning eller avstängning.
Kategoriregler
I teknikkategorin gäller att vi håller oss till trådämnet. Kommer det in OT kommer detta att raderas. Upprepad ohörsamhet med OT i denna delen av forum kan ge varning eller avstängning.

Kör-rapporter av S1000RR

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-17/16:44

Av Niall Mackenzie, på Portomao med en S1000RR den 17:e november.

"I've ridden BMW's new superbike, the S1000RR for two sessions here at Portimao, plenty of time to get a feel for the bike and here are my initial impressions.

Just sitting on the new BMW S1000RR makes me think of my long-term R6. I'm five-foot eight/nine and it just fits me really well, everything is really light and compact. It's a pretty amazing piece of packaging, really. Just moving it around on pit lane here at Portmão makes it feels like someone's nicked the engine.

The BMW bloke in the pre-ride press conference encouraged us to do the first session in sixth gear at 2,000rpm as a way of demonstrating how smooth and tractable this engine is. Personally I think it was just a way to ensure that none of us immediately chucked one on its roof in the expansive gravel traps.  For the few corners I did try this technique it really did show up the engine's super-tractable, electric motor-like torque delivery and flexibility.

It's really easy to flick from one  bank angle to another ­ handy at this circuit because one corner just flows into another and really high speed direction changes are crucial.

The RR steers beautifully neutrally with pinpoint precision. The bike runs massive (biggest in class) 46mm forks and the feel and feedback from them is mint.

It feels closest to the last R1, not the big-bang one, but the previous model, it's not  revvy like a Blade it's not peaky like a ZX-10R, it's smooth in the way it makes it power, like a big turbine, which makes it easy to ride hard.

I stiffened up the front forks in session two to minimise the weight transfer both on and off the brakes and it made a big difference to the turn-in.

I've seen 280kph on the clocks down the straight so far, in 5th. More to come in the next session when I go out with Troy Corser and see what he's got in his locker!"

Bromsa sent är lätt, om bromsarna inte funkar! - Jonas Sjöström UMEÅ
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Re: Kör-rapporter av S1000RR

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-17/16:53

AV MCN'n Trevor Franklin den 17:e November.

MCN’s Chief Road Tester Trevor Franklin is at the Portimao circuit in Portugal for the track launch of the new BMW S1000RR.

He has just phoned in this first impression:

“I’ve just come in from the first session, which we were meant to use to learn the track but I’ve been here before so I could go fairly hard from the off.

"All the bikes were set in Rain mode, to break us in gently with lower power (148bhp) and gentle throttle response.

“But even so, from 6000rpm the BMW accelerated very hard – the power delivery is so immediate that I would have guessed at 170bhp.

“It’s early days, but the bike seems to be everything we hoped for. I’m particularly impressed with how easy it is to ride – after half a lap I was relaxed, comfortable and feeling at home.

"It bodes well. The next session will be on full power, though we might need the traction control because there are some big rain clouds about…”

More updates soon. Full indepth report in tomorrow’s MCN, on sale Nov 18

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

He’s just finished his second session aboard the bike, this is what he has to say:

“I’m now riding ewith the power mode switch set to ‘Race Mode’ which is suitable for treaded, race tyres and also with the traction control systems and Race ABS system activated.

“The over-riding impression so far is that the S1000RR is very, very quick – in fact it’s probably the quickest of any bike I’ve ridden here, and that includes all the Japanese superbikes, KTM’s RC8R, Ducati’s 1198 and more. At the end of the straight I’m just getting into top gear with the speedo registering well over 270kph.

“Even though we’re still on road suspension settings, albeit with a couple more clicks of rebound on the rear shock, the S1000RR is very, very planted and stable. In fact, the chassis reminds very much of KTM’s RC8R. The traction control system is brilliant, too. More later.”
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-17/19:55

MCN Chief Road tester Trevor Franklin is currently testing the all-new BMW S1000RR superbike in Portimao, Portugal. This is his latest feedback:

“For the final session of the day the bike was put into all-or-nothing ‘Slick’ mode, where the traction control, ABS and throttle response are set for full-on action on slick tyres.

“As it was, the tyres used were Metzeler Racetechs which proved more than up to the job.

“In slick mode the throttle response is so direct you find yourself barrelling into corners considerably faster than you ought to.

"Needless to say, the Sachs front suspension and Brembo calipers always save the day. Then it’s a matter of throwing the bike in and turning the tap on.

“The effect of the traction control is devastating drive. Anybody behind gets a clear view of rubber being smeared onto the circuit.

“Later in the session the rear ride height was adjusted to its max (an extra 10mm) which makes the S1000RR so much more agile into the turns.

"It literally takes your breath away with how much throttle abuse you can get away with.

“And that is the BMW S1000RR: an incredible track tool which bodes well for being one of the best 1000cc superbikes money can buy.

"We look forward to putting it head to head with its rivals – a test you’ll be able to read first in MCN.”
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-18/11:11

November 17, 2009 - Jon Pearson

Our man in Portugal JP has mailed these words back from the long-awaited world launch of BMW's S1000RR sportsbike ... Scroll down for the full story

I'm cautious about telling you how good the BMW S1000RR is but to be honest I'd be lying if I told you I hadn't just got off it here in Portimao pretty bloody impressed.

One of BMW's biggest intentions with the 1000RR was to attract sportsbike customers to the 'brand' who wouldn't normally give it a second glance. You, me and certainly the Japanese manufacturers need to sit up and take notice because this is a bike to match and in some ways better rivals in the litre sportsbike class.

Much like the Honda CBR1000RR you have to ignore the slightly ugly front end and poor choice of colour (there are better ones in the range) to get to the seriously sorted bike underneath.

Aside from creating a hoo-har about the S1000RR with pre-launch launches and the WSB race team, BMW has spent a lot of time and effort developing and deliveringt a sorted bike. It wouldn't be the first time I've been on a brand new model launch and found a good bike only to find a slightly more sorted machine appear from the same factory two years later. This is not one of those bikes.

I tested what will be called the 'Sport' model in the UK which comes with all the optional extras fitted for 1,400 quid more than the standard RRP of £11,190 (after Jan 1st).

Traction control is the talking point with four different 'modes' affecting how much power you get at different lean angles, wheel speeds and throttle openings. To be honest I got a bit confused and spent half the day trying to get my head around what it did when and how. These bells and whistles put it on par with the Ducati 1198 rather than its direct competitors in the litre sports bike class in some ways.

The long and the short of it is the S1000RR works and in the right 'mode' to suit you is flattering and rewarding to ride. Just like the 1198's system you can nail the throttle hard and rely on the back wheel to drift but not slide out of corners. It's great fun and very addictive when you get the confidence to do it. It's slightly smoother than the Ducati system though, particularly early in the corner when you first get on the throttle.

There's also an ABS system which traditional BMW prejudice might tell you to expect but don't forget Honda's Fireblade has it too. Actually it's not quite up to scratch performance-wise with Honda's ABS system but, in its favour it is a good deal lighter at 2.5kg.

Generally speaking the best 'feeling' I got from the S1000RR though was its agility. It doesn't seem to carry the weight it should at a claimed 227kg wet which in my view makes it stand apart from the Suzuki GSX-R1000. With the technology and the decent-spec chassis components it's a serious contender.

Is it like any of its rivals? Not really, it stands alone but if anything it feels a little like the ZX-10R to sit on. There was a lot of talk about it being a GSX-R replica in the press and forums but I don't see it much myself and I certainly didn't feel it. While race results might not have come too easily the road bike should pitch right in the thick of the litre bike class. That ain't bad for a first attempt.
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-19/17:47

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/12dGXRPJNks&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/12dGXRPJNks&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-20/12:56

Jerker Axelsson från Motorrad har fått köra, vad kul det ser ut!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/euHQ7qBzdIQ&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/euHQ7qBzdIQ&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-21/04:07

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ezN4ecM4uTw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ezN4ecM4uTw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-21/05:08

Costa Mouzouris on Friday, November 20th, 2009

"I just stepped off the new BMW S1000RR at the bike's press launch held at the Autódromo Internacional do Algarve in Portimao, Portugal and all I can say is whatever preconceived notions you had about BMW motorcycles, you can forget with this bike.

It claims to have the best power-to-weight ratio of any open-class supersport, and after a day in the saddle around the technically challenging racecourse, it seems that the claim is right on the money.

How do 220 km/h power wheelies while cresting the small hill onto the front straight sound? How about handling as nimble as the best litre-bikes currently on the market? Top that off with race ABS and dynamic traction control, both tunable on-the-fly and both highly valuable track day tools no one on a 190-plus horsepower bike should be without."
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-22/01:37

Steve Atlas, Executive Editor
Professional-grade speed and an attitude to match, Executive Editor Steve Atlas is the new blood at MotoUSA. Atlas has AMA racing creds that are even more extensive than his driving record.

"Know for the high-performance capabilities of its autos, has BMW finally found the ultimate driving machine on two-wheels with its S1000RR literbike?De Uber Speed King

‘The Ultimate Driving Machine.’ BMW has touted such a statement to describe its four-wheeled vehicles for decades. And for good reason. The German firm’s line of cars, from family sedans to M performance machines, has always been on the cutting edge of performance and drivability. Could the same be said for their motorcycles, though? In a true sporting sense, No. While they have dominated areas like adventure riding with its GS line and long-distance touring with the LT range, a purebred sportbike has always eluded the Bavarian brand, something that has perplexed us for years. Until now. Enter the 2010 BMW S1000RR.

And as such, no amount of terrible airline food or long layovers could stop us from riding the highly touted new machine, which is why this story is coming to you straight from a hotel room in Portugal, mere hours after riding the new propeller-branded bombshell.

So, without further ado…

Engine

Let’s start at the heart of the beast, the essence of what BMW has always been known for. And while it may not be a strange Boxer motor, the somewhat traditional Inline-Four was designed and built 100% in-house in BMW’s Berlin facility. In fact, the entire motorcycle is built in its German super facility.

BMW took the Inline-Four approach for its Superbike project, but features more oversquare configuration at 80 x 49.7mm.

The 33.5mm intake and 27.3mm exhaust valves are made from lightweight titanium and feature a narrow valve angle. The valve springs are supplemented by a hydraulic tightening mechanism to eliminate valve flotation.Though don’t fret all you BMW lovers, as well as connoisseurs of speed in general. It may be similar in basic design to the Japanese competition, but it takes things to a whole new level. Instantly noticeable from the first lap exiting the pits, seat-of-the-pants says this bad boy has the Japanese covered by a healthy margin.

These prancing ponies come via 999cc lump. Sporting a an extremely oversquare 80 x 49.7mm bore and stroke, this equates to a very short stoke ratio of 0.621 and the biggest bore of any 1K sportbike on the market. A forged, single-piece and heat-treated steel crankshaft is mated to “anti-friction” bearings and features traditional 180-degree angles for a consistent firing order. Con-rods are also steel, but are said to be an “extra-light” forged makeup, weighting 334 grams each. At the end of each of these sit forged lightweight “box” pistons with a thin-ring design for less dynamic friction. Each piston weights a mere 253 grams as well, further reducing internal rotational mass.

This is all housed in a horizontally split aluminum crankcase, the upper section die-cast to form a stiff overall unit. This upper half also holds a very small 6-speed stacked gearbox which mates to a wet slipper clutch. Above sits a cylinder block featuring nikasil coating for reduced friction and wear, while a compact cylinder head features a narrow valve angle (11.2 degree intake and 13.3 degree exhaust), claimed to “provide ideal intake ducts as well as a compact combustion chamber for high compression.”

Both intake and exhaust valves are lightweight titanium and measure a rather large 33.5mm intake and 27.3mm exhaust. These are operated by valve springs as well as a hydraulic tightening mechanism to reduce drag forces and allow power to be produced at high rpms without the chance of valve flotation. Small and light individual cam followers are also utilized to allow BMW the freedom to optimize valve lift and duration. This all equates to an astronomic – in liter-bike street terms – redline of 14,200 rpm, of which BMW says the engine could be run much higher in pure mechanical terms – i.e. if long-term street durability wasn’t a factor.

Cylinders bank forward at a 32-degree angle, which was obtainable due to the extremely small overall size of the engine. Despite the large 80mm bore the powerplant only measures 18.23 inches wide at the crankshaft. Height is also a vertically challenged 22 inches top to bottom, allowing low and “optimum” placement within the chassis. Another byproduct of this size is a featherweight 131.8-lb engine weight, said to be the lightest of the any stock 1000cc sportbike currently produced.

Producing a claimed 193 horsepower at the crank, the S1000RR clocked top speeds during our test ride at 180 mph.Spent gases exit through a 4-2-1 stainless exhaust system that features a main section under the engine, in which equal length of piping from each cylinder is routed, then exiting through a small and low, right hand muffler. This centralizes mass beneath the engine to further aid in moving the CG as low as possible.

With a compression ration of 13:1, the final result is a lump that produces a claimed whopping 193 hp at the crank, which BMW say translates to roughly 180 hp at the wheel. While this may be a tad optimistic (we’re guessing in the 170 hp range), compared to the best we’ve seen of low 160s from the Japanese and it’s easy to see the difference.
And while the following may sound like a bit of regurgitated PR, one run down the front straight at Portimao and it all quickly became quite believable. From as low as 3000rpm right up to the 14K redline she pulls like a factory Superbike dressed in drag.

As it happens, I personally just returned from riding all seven factory World Superbikes at the some Portimao circuit less than three weeks ago, making for a perfect comparison. To give to an example of the new BMW’s engine performance, my top speed on Ben Spies’ factory Yamaha R1 was 301 km/h (187 mph) at the end of the massive front straight, and according to the data on the stock S1000RR I clocked high 280s with ease and a peak of 289 km/h (180 mph), a mere 12 Km/h (7 mph) down on the world championship-winning machine. To say this is impressive is an understatement. These speeds on the stock Beemer were also equally as quick as the factory-supported Kawasaki WSBK I rode at the same time. Unreal!

But power without control is nothing. And making the S1000RR even better is the smooth progression in which the heaps of hp are delivered. Fuel delivery is spot-on from as low as 1000 rpm and at no point are there any hiccups or spikes of any kind.

Leaning over to provide a good view of the S1000RR exhaust system, which exits out a shorty right-side exhaust canister and keeps the center of gravity as low as possible.This is the result of BMW’s engine management system, called BMS-KP (BMW Engine Management with Anti-Knock Control), which controls fuel and ignition mapping for each cylinder independently. Variable intake control, which changes the intake length based on rpm and throttle position plays a roll, as does their E-Gas ride-by-wire throttle system that continually adjusts the butterflies of the 48mm throttle bodies.

It is further aided, in part, by the DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) system. Our test units came fully kitted with the DTC and integrated ABS system, a first for a production sportbike. Four modes: Rain, Sport, Race and Slick are available for the rider to choose from, with Slick needing a special plug under the seat to be installed to access. This plug comes with the bike if you buy the optional upgrade.

The Rain setting limits power output to 150 hp at the crank and turns the traction control up to a very high level so as to allow for easier riding on slick surfaces like in the wet or for less experienced riders. We tried this for the first couple laps getting used to the track on new tires and while it was nice on new tires, once the buns were heated I was quickly into Sport and then Race mode, as Rain cuts in quite a lot and prevents any steering of the motorcycle with the rear tire.

Full power is gained in Sport, Race and Slick modes, but the delivery is changed as the modes increase, giving the rider faster throttle response as you progress up the ladder. All of the systems work in conjunction with the integrated electronic ABS as well as a wheelie control function. Though Slick mode does away with the wheelie control, only leaving the DTC and ABS in place. Simply holding down a button on the left switch cluster can also turn off the entire system.

Gripping the Portimao circuit was Metzeler Racetec K3, with the S1000RR's DTC (dynamic traction control) system offering four settings.And while Slick mode may have been designed for slick tires, the Metzeler Racetec K3 rubber on the machines were plenty grippy to allow such setting to be used and also what I found to be optimal. Much of this revolved around the wheelie control function, as on the track it wasn’t quite able to keep up, making for abrupt deceleration and some slightly violent rides cresting Portimao’s hills. At a flatter track or on the street, if one didn’t want to wheelie, I think the system could do fine, but with the drastic elevation changes of the Portuguese track this wasn’t the case. Not to mention, I’m quite the fan of wheelies in general, so to limit them on such a machine is the ultimate tease.

Our machines also came with the option HP Gearshift Assistant, or in non-Germanic terms, a speed-shifter. This allowed for full-throttle up-shifts without the use of the clutch, and the system worked flawlessly in all conditions. The back-torque-limiting clutch worked equally well, though in its case under braking, as long as one was sure to fully engage the clutch lever for each downshift. If not, false neutrals could be found, but only if the rider was ham-fisted with the hand controls.

Mondo power is great, but needs to be teamed with world-class handling. The Beemer delivers both.
Chassis

Harnessing the harrowing horsepower is BMW’s aluminum bridge frame, which uses the engine as a stressed member and weighs in at 26.42 lbs. The frame is comprised of four castings, designed to allow flex to be tuned differently along each axis. It also serves to make the machine as slim as possible between the rider’s legs for optimum ergonomics.

The steering head and the two side sections with their integrated engine mounts are made from ‘tip casting’ aluminum. The rear section, swingarm supports as well as the mounting points for the footrests are produced from a low-pressure die-casting process. A “high-precision welding robot” then assembles the individual pieces in the “Aluminum Competence Centre” at BMW’s Motorrad Berlin plant. The subframe is a welded structure comprised of square aluminum pieces that are bolted to the frame and as such is removable.

Due to the compactness of the engine BMW was able to utilize a long swingarm, to provide as much mechanical grip as possible. Measuring 23.35 inches from the rotation point to the center of the rear axle, this is one of the longest on the market today. It is made up of deep-drawn and very thin aluminum plates on top welded to a cast-dish base. This makes for a stiff unit that also only weights 13.72 lbs. An eccentric housing at the frame joint allows for swingarm adjustability, something only seen on a few high-end sportbikes.

The S1000RR sports one of the longest swingarms on the market and is also adjustable.Suspension is handled via a massive 46mm front fork; featuring very German-like 10 clicks of rebound and compression adjustability, as well as spring preload. The steering head is also adjustable up to 15mm, allowing the front end to be lowered up to 5mm or raised 10mm as compared to stock. Same can be found out back, with a single shock featuring compression, rebound and spring preload tune-ability. Rear ride height can be changed up to 10mm using eccentric inserts in the upper shock support.

Reducing rotational mass are “very light and extra stiff” aluminum wheels. Designed with Supersport racing in mind, the thin 10-spoke wheels are pressure cast aluminum. Furthermore, the front brake rotors bolt directly to floating mounts on the wheel, eliminating carriers and an extra set of bolts found on most common wheel and brake setups. These 17-inch wheels come shod with 120/17 and 190/55 size tires front and back, respectively. Three different brands will be used; we rode on Metzeler K3 rubber in Portugal.

Slowing things down are dual front Brembo four-piston radial calipers that grab 320mm rotors via steel-braided brake lines and a radial master cylinder, while out back a single-piston Brembo caliper grabs a 220mm disc. The model we rode also featured BMW Motorrad Race ABS, which adjusts depending on the aforementioned setting (Rain, Sport, Race, Slick) in which the bike is used. The system only weights 5.51 lbs, making it the lightest on any production sportbike.

Developed by top-shelf riders, like Jurgen Fuchs, the BMW's chassis handles the rigorous requirements of track use. While the engine is without question the eye-opening and shining point of the new Beemer, the chassis and suspension isn’t far behind. Developed by BMWs fast and well-trained testing staff, which includes former world-class racers like Jurgen Fuchs, the base setup was well balanced and stout, giving great feedback to the rider.

The compactness of the chassis allows for a machine that feels very small between one’s legs and combined with the shape of the tank makes for an ergonomics packages that fits nearly all size riders. My small stature had no problem flicking it from side to side, while none of the taller riders complained of it being cramped.

Although the overall weight is on the high side at a claimed 455 lbs full of fuel, due to the low CG and centralized mass one barely feels it, allowing for quick and easy transitions in both the slow and fast sections of the track. Equally capable was the feel and feedback once leaned on its side. Each and every bump was translated directly to the rider, as if one was strapped straight to the pavement.

Initially the shock was a bit soft and would transfer weight to the rear somewhat excessively under hard acceleration, but a few clicks of compression to keep it up in the stroke and she was good to go. Otherwise I left it exactly as setup by BMW and it worked as well as anyone could ever hope from a production machine on stock tires.

And speaking of the stock tires, Metzler’s K3 impressed greatly. Similar to the Pirelli Diablo SP3, these have to be one of the best OE tires on the track I personally have even ridden. Only complaint, if you want to call it that, is they get greasy after about 20-25 minutes of straight hard riding. But for a street-based tire that’s hardly a complaint and more like a compliment.

The new S1000RR runs like a proper superbike. No more scratching Boxer engine heads in the corners!The only other minor complaint was the ABS system under hard braking. In the lower settings it would initiate quite early in a predictive manner, and while it doesn’t pulse or do anything funny, it does give back a mushy feeling through the front fork and lacks some feedback at the brake lever. This was slightly better in the higher settings, but even in Slick mode one could feel it under extreme conditions. However, with the system totally off full brake feel and feedback comes back.

Design

It’s impossible not to have an opinion about the styling of the new BMW. Everyone does. Why is this? Because for the first time on a sportbike the faring design and lighting is quite asymmetrical, with two completely different side panels as well as totally different headlights.

The different fairings are almost easy to miss, as they are never viewed together at any one time, so this rarely a point of contention. The headlights, on the other hand, are. Sitting right next to each other and very different in shape, I must say at first I wasn’t a fan. And while I’m still not totally sold, they are growing on me.

Why did they do this, you might ask? First off, performance. The high-beam projector didn’t need to be as big as the low beam, thus by making it smaller they saved weight. But the big thing was to be different. With an engine configuration the same as the Japanese, BMW needed something to call their own, something to separate them from the pack. And no doubt the angular lines, crazy shaped taillight and asymmetric bodywork have accomplished exactly that. Equally different is the green color they chose for us to ride, which they say is very “urban” focused.

The bodywork is also very much wind tunnel influenced to provide optimum aerodynamics while still giving the machine a small “600cc Supersport feel,” according to the Germans.

The asymmetrical headlight configuration of the S1000RR is bound to rile some, but where will the Beemer fall when the 2010 Superbike Smackdown finishes?Sitting behind the controversial shrouding is a very techno gauge cluster that features an analog tach and digital speedo, as well a host of racetrack-focused digital readouts. A built-in lap timer can be accessed via the high beam switch on the left bar, as well though a censor that works with any 2D transponder. Also available to the rider is his max speed as well as percentage of overall brake pressure and throttle opening for each recorded lap.

Final Verdict

Without shooting myself in the foot before we get the BMW back to the U.S. for a proper shootout, I can tell you this bike impressed more than any production motorcycle in recent memory. Utterly amazing power harnessed by a communicative chassis and very adjustable suspension, plus high-tech electronics, make for a bike that should no doubt push the envelope of liter-class machines worldwide. And all this for a base price of $13,800.

All hail the 2010 Superbike Smackdown. It gets better by the minute…"
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-22/01:42

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sSL3mGAk0oM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sSL3mGAk0oM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-22/01:50

A ride report from N8 Kern on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:46 am

The RR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since last Nov. the door slowly opened to learning about the The RR. From then on it has been a new chapter in my life. It went from the daily thought of "man this maybe my last hoorah on the Boxers I love..." So each and every time I was able to race the Boxers this past season (6 weekends I think), we went faster than ever before on them. If I could have only ridden with that in mind last season.
At first I wondered how 2009 would play out, there were already some thoughts I was having on other things I wanted to try career wise in life. My cup is pretty full, considering I never knew there was a cup to fill in regards to racing and making a living doing this. For sure there are some other things I would like to do before I get to old, but doors keep opening here in the MC world.
I just dont know actually what I wnat to do. When it is finally time to race there is a fire and passion that I cannot tap unless the flag drops, then its on. ANy other time I am actually really starting to enjoy more seeing people learn and break bad habits while riding together. The PR and marketing campaign with The RR has been a wild one. June 1st until about 6 days ago I drove 44,200 miles showing The RR. Ultra thankful for the opportunity and even more so that it is a motorcycle that IS what anyone would enjoy.

The RR!

The first RR I was delivered was considered PP1 (pre-production one). The molds on the bodywork were not the final finish, the weld around the gas cap rather big, and the water pump finish was from WW2. The bike came with zero DTC and ABS. The Modes were non existant too. It was just straight motor and chassis. I could not beleive how well the first slip of the clutch felt. Turning onto hot pit at NJMP and cresting the hill into T1. The power was on tap and very predictable instantly when she wanted to spin up. Very romantic I have to say when the contact patch decides to lose traction. The chassis flex and the rigid swingarm combine for a very forgiving feel that is not lethargic, but controllable. To be able to change lines and keep it spun up with control is the best feeling.
The Sachs suspension is well suited for even the fastest of trackday riders. So accute are the adjusters that anyone can feel a difference once adjusted. Massive Monoblok brakes with the Nissin master cylinder are strong, but thankfully the 46mm baseball bats they decided to use on the front can handle the stopping power.
Effortlessly you can pass anything on the track. Go ahead, laugh and sit back, and snicker at that comment. Im talking about trackdays I have ridden at. Not until yesterday while testing parts for BMW at Portimao (crazy due to just learning about The RR last year) have had a chance to ride against full on built race bikes. Back to that in a minute, if you were here you would not be able to stop laughing.

After PP! came the second RR, PP2. This now had a much cleaner weld around the gas cap, water pump was semi better, and finally the Modes for different throttle responses. So tame and smooth was this 181 RWHP "M" car on two wheels. Without DTC you can still not have nearly the chance of spinning in "Rain" mode.

"RAIN" mode will allow ANYONE to ride the most powerful litre bike ever. Its just friggin cheating. Its amazing in any weather condition. This is still without DTC. 150 crank HP in Rain, but you would never be able to tell its so mute, but still allows you to get going. Now that I have been invited to Portimao in Portugal to test and ride for 2 weeks on the final production bike, it is almost to much to digest how much more this bike can do for any rider. Once you ride it, you will see. Each and every journalist I rode with looked at me and shook their heads with the biggest smile I have ever seen on a human.
The lean angle sensors that I am now able to trueley understand make this bike even more rideable than the first two aspects (chassis and mapping). here it is, pay attention.

LEAN ANGLES that DTC unintrusiveley kicks in:

RAIN: 38 degrees
SPORT: 45 degrees
RACE: 48 degrees
SLICK: 53 degrees

What does that mean. Plain and simple, "PIN THAT F'ing THROTTLE" once at the predetermined lean angle (you will have to shut one eye duringthe process, but trust it please!). It is so hillarious and you cannot stop smiling as any rider can finally feel like a Pro! SO, you have mapping in each mode that only allows a percentage of power to be applied. Thus already keeping you safe regardless the lack of smoothness a rider may not have.
You can flat out smash the throttle and wtahc peripherally the DTC light light up and feel such a tame and very mute feeling of power loss, but not uspet even one millimeter the chassis or suspension. There is nothing intrusive about DTC, thank goodness. Once above the determined lean angle that DTC works, its back to that originally smooth chassis that gives so much feel while laying the power down.
DTC also has what so many call wheelie control, its NOT wheelie control. It is DTC! DTC senses the thr front and rear wheel speeds. Each mode also has its on level of input into how much it allows the front wheel to come off the ground. Rain mode barely at all, if you can even get it to do it. Sport mode a little bit, sits down and keeps you accelerating hard. Race mode maybe a good 3 feet and for a bit longer, then cuts in and smoothly sets down on its own. Then comes Slick mode! Only for 5 seconds maximum. Turn DTC off in any mode, you can have the forgiveness of the throttle mapping, but wheelie as much as you want then.

Sport mode is where the majority of these bikes will be ridden on the road. Race Mode has the 1:1 throttle ratio, but the 48 degree lean angle sensor that actuates the DTC for a brief moment, allowing you to drive hard off of corners on initial throttle pick up (the be ready to steer like you have a rudder in the rear!)
Slick mode can be accessed through the adapter being plugged in under the rear seat. Still a 1:1 throttle response, but a very strong and unleashed throttle opening that you can just hang on, but still with a level of control. There is no point that even pushing hard yesterday in Slick mode with DTC off, did thebike react violently when unhappy. I had a big moment testing an RR that had over 70 laps on Metzeler Racetec road tires. Not race tires. These have been thrashed for two straight days. Now it was time to see how quickly the bike can be recovered from a massive almost full lock slide. My ass was eating the seat, but I was still on two wheels, and heading downthe big drop onto the front straight. Awesome!

Oh yeah, I will finish my earlier thought. Thursday about mid day there was a few tractor trailers unloading bikes. These bike were coming off the trucks with full race plastics, number plates, and every damn brand from 600's to all of the litre bikes sold. Even the new RSV4 Aprillia. They were there to hold a race weekend. AT dinner Thursday evening, I was asked to join the a test being held the next day, during the race practice, on our straight production S1000RR's with full on road tires. The same ones that are coming on The RR for the customer (K3's). There is an A, B, C, and D group. D being the fastest. Out of 80 bikes the 4 of us testing were inthe top 6 fastest and Fuch's had the fastest time of everyone, LOL, on a full on streetbike! I was 4th fastest of everyone and 2nd of the 4 of us (2,6 seconds of Fuchs'ee!).

Already many people think I should be shot out of a cannon getting out of the time capsule I have been in racing Boxers. Not so initially. I am really fighting hard to change what is the most difficult, riding style. I now have a shorter wheelbase, conventional forks, and tons of ground clearance. To be good at both, no problem, but to be great at it is what anyone wants. Jurgen Fuch's is an amazing rider. He has brought me so far lap times from Monday. I have all next week too. I have to just start pushing the bike down with arms right at the apex of decreasing radius turns to get it to carve hard the way it can. Instead of leveling off at a certain lean angle of thebike and running a hair wide. Also, way to much cornerspeed, which we needed onthe Boxers. Nope not hear, it can do it, but then we cannot optimize the power and lay it down quciker, due to being on a smaller part of the tire.

Whew, okay alot of writing here, but I am excited to share with you all. This is as much yours as it is mine. Thak you for the seasons of support. I would like to race naturally, but I am looking into other career aspects whether it is still in the motorycle industry or not. There is a wide open door to make stupid money on a contract in Afghanistan, but I will enjoy this bike with you folks for a little bit longer.

Apologees in advance for not typing the way I ride!

N8!
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-22/22:11

Bra intervju med Jurgen Fuch, textad till svenska! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6dgsj7lCGk
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-22/22:13

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hq_UYzvZpZw&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hq_UYzvZpZw&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-22/22:15

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6S_XMjOhXks&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6S_XMjOhXks&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-23/01:31

Kevin Ash - http://www.ashonbikes.com

There is so, so much that could have gone wrong with BMW’s introduction of the S1000RR.

The bike has been hyped, details leaked, caught in spy photos and generally talked about with huge anticipation for around five years, when the first barely credible rumours of BMW’s attempt at a real superbike surfaced.

It’s even been raced in World Superbikes by Troy Corser and Ruben Xaus during the 2009 season, and all the time BMW has been drip-feeding us with tantalising details, encouraging rather than trying to dampen down the hype.

Expectations have been enormous for these reasons, and on top of that, this is BMW’s first ever attempt at the most high tech, high performance, high profile class in motorcycling, an arena where the Japanese and Italians expose their very souls along with their most cutting edge technology, backed up by years of race-bred experience.
Customers for these kinds of bikes – the Yamaha R1, Honda Fireblade, Suzuki GSX-R1000, Kawasaki ZX-10R Ninja, Aprilia RSV4 Factory, Ducati 1198S – look for two things in particular: performance as measured in lap times, plus race and sporting heritage.

BMW has no motorcycle race heritage that most modern riders will be aware of, and for those that do know it, the pre- and post-war grands prix successes and 1960s sidecar dominance are hardly relevant to modern superbikes. That leaves performance, which means this entirely new BMW in an entirely new class for the company has to hit the ground running and match not just any bike in the magisterial list above, it has to sit in the upper echelons, and be measured not merely in opinion but in cold, unforgiving performance figures too.

As if all this lot wasn’t enough, BMW’s own history of new model releases is not the best, especially with its four-cylinder bikes. Going back to the company’s first four, the K100 in 1984, this bike suffered two years of various problems and it looked almost as if BMW was using its customers to finish off the development. It was never a great engine anyway, compromised too much by its unique layout. The next new four was even worse: when I first wrote about the K1200S after riding it in July 2004 I made a recommendation to avoid it altogether, at least until it was working properly. The bike was clearly unfinished and quite dreadful to ride as a result, and BMW postponed the showroom launch for another six months. Again it took two years for the bike to reach its potential, and now the 1300cc versions are outstandingly good. But it shouldn’t have happened that way, and it helped set an uncomfortable precedent for the S1000RR.

My own expectation then was to be disappointed, even to worry how the huge cost of developing this bike, coming in these troublesome financial times, could affect BMW’s future, in addition to any damage to its reputation.

By the end of the first lap of the Portimao Circuit in the Algarve, all those concerns had evaporated. It really was that soon, as like a Fireblade or a GSX-R – and pointedly not like the other contenders – the S1000RR is a bike you feel immediately comfortable on. Not so much comfort in terms of ergonomics, though again it’s Fireblade-like in this respect which is also a good thing, but in the reassurance of a bike which simply feels right. There’s further support in the hugely impressive electronic options available, which I’ll come to, but crucially it’s the basics of the bike which BMW has managed to get right first time.

The engine, frankly, is staggering. It revs eagerly at a standstill, promising much with its quick-fire snarls, and once you’re rolling its thrust is immense. Comparing figures between bikes is a wasteful exercise as no one seems to measure things in quite the same way, but BMW says its bike has the best power to weight ratio of all the superbikes, and when you open the throttle at the start of a long straight like Portimao’s, the way the bike fires itself up the track like a missile suggests that’s probably true. It is noticeably and significantly quicker than a GSX-R1000, this is obvious even without a direct back-to-back comparison, and right up there with the quickest, the R1 and Aprilia. This is huge power, a claimed 190bhp, yet it’s as easy to control and modulate as on any rival machine, with perfect fuelling and superbly predictable throttle control.

The power is spread wide too, with the huge hit at the top end supported by a muscular mid range that flows smoothly up to the maximum as the revs build, and even low rev torque appears healthy, although that won’t really be apparent until we get the S1000RR on the road. There are four modes to get used to, called Rain, Sport, Race and Slick. In Rain the power is reduced to 148bhp and the power delivery is at its softest. In the dry it’s still reasonably exciting, until you try the faster modes that is, and in wet weather will be genuinely useful. Sport mode is the everyday good weather one, and this blends that almighty power kick with a gentler throttle response than the next two modes that was ideal for familiarising myself with the Portimao circuit, and then returning to at the end of the day when fatigue was setting in. It’ll be perfect for road use.

Race mode gives you a hard edged, direct feel between twist grip and tyre which could intimidate some riders in some circumstances, though still the connection between wrist and rubber is utterly faithful. Finally there’s Slick mode, designed as it suggests to be used with slick tyres on the track, and while the directness of the throttle response is full race bike, Slick mode also allows other aspects such as turning off the ABS, which again I’ll come to.

The brakes themselves are outstanding, even in this class. They’re a combination of Nissin master cylinder and Brembo radial calliper chosen it seems for the perfect combination of power and feel. And instead of interfering as it usually does on the track, the optional ABS simply adds confidence. You can eventually feel it working, but this is at the point where most riders would be thinking they really don’t want to brake any harder anyway. Like the engine response, the ABS changes with the mode selected, coming in soon in Rain mode, then intervening nearer the tyres’ limits with each mode change towards Slick.

In the lower two modes the rear wheel lift detector also functions, releasing front brake pressure as the back wheel lifts clear of the ground to help keep the bike in control. In Race and Slick modes this is switched off, and the rear ABS is also switched off in Slick mode to allow rear wheel drifting into turns.

The chassis if anything impresses even more than that magnificent engine. It was this which gave me that instant at-home sensation, and it went on to convince me it’s quite probably the best superbike chassis out there. It is on the physical side when circumstances (like Portimao) demand lots of direction changing, in part no doubt due to the non-adjustable steering damper, but it’s worth bearing in mind the test bikes were set up with only two extra clicks on the rear rebound damping from stock road settings. In practice for track use you’d raise the rear ride height to sharpen the steering and make the bike easier to flick side to side. But don’t start thinking from this it’s a heavy feeling machine because it’s not. It’s very light, very agile and scalpel sharp in its accuracy, going exactly when you point it and not running wide as many bikes do when you wind on the power coming out of a turn.

And wind on the power you certainly can, as the traction control lets you crack open the throttle as wide as you dare then goes on to deal unobtrusively and effectively with rear wheel spin. There’s one climbing left hander at Portimao in particular where the bike goes light half way through the turn, and even here the rear just slides gently to one side, tightening the line, then regrips with no lurch from chassis or engine, just a smooth, liquid and utterly expert corner exit that even the best racers would struggle to better. As with the other electronics, the traction control (called DTC or Dynamic Traction Control by BMW but not to be confused with Ducati’s DTC traction control) changes with the mode selected in order to suit riding style and conditions.

In addition, a lean angle sensor prevents the rider applying power when the bike is leaning more than a predetermined amount, and this too changes with the modes. The only time most riders would notice will be if they select rain mode then lean the bike in the dry. The bike refuses to accelerate until you start to bring it back towards vertical, then the power cuts back in (smoothly...) and the bike carries on as normal.

It’s unusual to see the name Sachs on the suspension of a top quality sports bike, but both forks and rear shock bear the name, and as with the rest of the bike, Sachs has instantly matched the best available. The fat 46mm forks are ride height adjustable as well as with the usual damping settings, while the shock offers low and high speed damping adjustment as well as spring preload and ride height. The rider’s job is made much easier by a simple and obvious idea: the adjusters are marked with clear numbers from 1 to 10, so no more counting clicks, and are even colour coded for rebound and compression damping.

A full technical appraisal will be coming here shortly, but what matters most and first is what the S 1000 RR is like to ride and how it compares with its rivals. The answer should be very clear now: this bike is not only right on the pace, it’s at the high end of the class and I wouldn’t be surprised if it came out as class leader in terms of outright performance. But more than that, it’s the easiest of all to ride fast, very natural, enormously confidence inspiring and as well as everything else, perhaps the most important factor of all, it’s a huge amount of undiluted, unequivocal fun.

BMW has done it.
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-11-28/19:28

Not your father's BMW av Kevin Duke, Nov. 23, 2009.

BMW's motorcycle division hasn't enjoyed the worldwide performance reputation of its automotive sector, but that all changes with the incredible S1000RR, introduced to journalists last week at the equally impressive Portimao race circuit.
BMW Motorrad hits the literbike market hard with its race replica, as the S1000 employs class-leading power, a stout chassis beyond reproach, and a techie electronics package second to none. This bike is the real deal.

We've been teased with details of the bike for well over a year. Our first glimpse came in April of 2008 when I wrote the S1000RR Preview, and then we brought new insight last December in our Closer Look article. Then we finally got to see the bike in the flesh at its U.S. introduction where Pete elaborated on the RR's features and specs.

After all of that, we were already quite up to speed on what the bike consists of. Now all we needed to know is how it performs.

Morning at Portimao
Rolling into the Autodromo Internacional do Algarve in Portimao, Portugal, its extreme elevation changes promise an entertaining day, even if we weren't to ride one of the most anticipated sportbikes to come along in years. .

The base S1000RR retails in America for $13,800, but the bikes we'd be riding were equipped with BMW's optional electronic rider aids. As with 98% of S1000RR pre-orders, our bikes had the $1,480 traction control and Race ABS option, plus the $450 Gearshift Assistant that allows full-throttle upshifts without backing off the throttle or using the clutch. The only thing missing from a fully optioned RR is the white, red and blue BMW Motorsport color, a $750 option that has been selected in about 50% of pre-orders thus far. The test bikes were flavored in a unique Acid Green Metallic, but other color choices include a classy Mineral Silver Metallic or a sinister Thunder Grey (black) Metallic

Advanced technology features heavily on the S1000RR. Base models include electronics that influence power and throttle response over four possible modes: Rain, Sport, Race and Slick. It's simple to select while stationary, but they can be changed even while riding. A press of the nicely damped right-side switchgear selects the desired mode, then you have 60 seconds in which to close the throttle and pull in the clutch which triggers the new mode you've chosen.

The Dynamic Traction Control/ABS option (either of which can be disabled if desired) adds to the four riding modes a few other rider aids, including varying ABS settings and a form of wheelie control. Wheel-speed sensors supply info for the ABS and traction control, and a gyro mounted under the seat provides additional data to the bike's ECU to influence throttle response and to provide a measure of wheelie control.

Instrumentation is robust. An analog tach features prominently, with LCD displays for speed, an easily read gear indicator, and an adjustable (for both brightness and frequency) shift light. Lap times can be logged by engaging the high-beam flash trigger or by a trackside beacon and can display last lap time, best lap, number of laps, accelerator position in percentage per lap, time per lap the brakes were applied, minimum and maximum speeds and the number of gearshifts. Whew!

Session One – Rain Mode
As we were learning a new bike and a new track, we were advised to begin with the ECU set to the Rain mode. This smooths throttle response and limits engine output to a maximum of 150 horsepower. And with the DTC/ABS option, it also restricts throttle application at lean angles greater than 38 degrees; making it ideal when riding on low-adhesion surfaces.

However, on a dry and grippy racetrack like Portimao, the system proved way too intrusive. Especially off-putting was the ghost in the machine that prevented application of throttle when at a corner's apex while the bank-angle sensor was beyond the 38-degree threshold. Then, once at 37 or fewer degrees, power comes on suddenly and gives the pilot the feeling that he's not fully in control.

Still, there was much to appreciate from this restricted first session. BMW's RR feels as nimble as a Honda CBR1000RR, the most agile of existing literbikes, and it continues steering well even while trail-braking. It feels lighter than its fully fueled 450-pound weight would indicate. Ergonomics feel racy but not brutal, with pegs set back quite far.

Although the engine is detuned in Rain mode, there is still plenty of power on tap. BMW's RR has the largest bore (and, correspondingly, shortest stroke) of its competition, and this usually hinders low-end and midrange power. BMW fills in those low-rev holes with technologies that alter the flow of air in and out of the engine.

On the intake side are variable-length throttle trumpets, using a longer, torque-enhancing configuration at lower revs before splitting apart to reveal a short intake runner for maximum power at high rpm. Spent gasses are at the mercy of three exhaust valves. A butterfly valve bridges the header tubes of cylinders 1 and 4, and a second butterfly joins cylinders 2 and 3. A third exhaust valve located ahead of the tailpipe is described by BMW as an “acoustic flap,” which is in place only to limit sound emissions at lower revs.

Session Two – Sport Mode

It only took a few corners to realize the Sport setting is much preferable in dry, high-traction settings than the Rain mode. Throttle response is still smooth and the bank-angle sensor is still in play, but in Sport mode it only limits throttle openings at lean angles beyond 45 degrees. Within these parameters, a rider is still able to cut fairly quick laps

Without the Rain setting's restriction of power output, the S1000RR is able to unleash its full 193 claimed crankshaft horsepower, although throttle application is more progressive than the Race or Slick settings. Full-throttle acceleration is something near ferocious, and I'd estimate a rear-wheel horsepower number near 170, which would make the S1000RR the most powerful literbike available.

In its spec chart, BMW states the S1000's maximum speed is “over 200 kph,” which is a bit of a joke because the uber-sport Beemer was carrying its front wheel up the front straight beyond 240 kph – that's 150 mph to us Ah-mer-cans. Peak torque of a brawny 82.6 ft-lbs arrives at 9750 rpm, while 193 ponies are bolting the corral at 13,000 rpm, 1200 revs short of its lofty rev limit.

A limitation of Sport and Rain modes is a form of wheelie control based on wheel-speed sensor data. If acceleration forces the front tire off the ground, it soon will be spinning slower than the rear. The ECU perceives this data as a loss of traction, and the DTC cuts power and therefore brings the front wheel back in contact with the tarmac, sometimes ungracefully.

In the lower gears where acceleration is strongest, a rider can be presented with a wheelie followed by a fairly aggressive intervention of power, then, once wheel speeds are equalized, full power resumes that can again initiate another wheelie and another power interruption. Disabling the DTC prevents such histrionics.

Another rider aid, this one based on the Race ABS, is present in Rain and Sport modes. If the ABS senses the rear wheel is lifting off the ground during hard braking, it will subtly release a bit of front brake pressure to bring down the rear end, an operation that is transparent to the rider. .

Session Three – Race Mode
Stefan Zeit, Project Manager for the S1000RR, says Race mode is best for 90% of trackday riders. It offers more aggressive throttle inputs, nearly the one-to-one ratio of Slick mode. A rider is aware of the higher state of tuning by throttle response that is occasionally but not always slightly abrupt upon reapplication.

The DTC in Race mode allows 48 degrees of lean before affecting throttle application, and that's a fairly deep angle of dangle for most riders. Even with excellent grip from the standard-equipment Metzeler Racetech K3s, the DTC is reassuring and really aids confidence on corner exits. This higher-performance mode also enables bigger wheelies before power is reduced.

The parameters of the Race ABS is also geared toward faster riders in the Race mode, so the rear-wheel lift-off detection is disabled. I'm happy to report the S1000RR has very little of the oft-maligned pulsing feel of some anti-lock systems. Only a few times while bleeding off 170 mph into Turn 1 did I feel any mediation of the ABS. Kudos to BMW for building such a clever system that adds only 5.3 pounds to the bike. The performance anti-lock system on Honda's CBRs add 22 pounds of ballast to its RRs.

Speaking of rider aids, it was a pleasure to be turning laps with the help of BMW's Gearshift Assistant. The quickshifter simplifies upshifts by briefly cutting the ignition to enable grabbing the next gear without using the clutch or letting off the gas – seamless acceleration is available by simply kicking the foot lever. It makes a squeaky-squooshy sound faintly akin to a turbo's wastegate letting off excess boost

Session Four – Slick Mode
You gotta be serious if you want to get into Slick mode – you can't even access it unless it is enabled by an optional accessory to plug into an underseat port. The “Slick” part refers to racing tires, not traction.

Slick mode allows 53 degrees of lean angle before throttle application intervention, and you've got to be a moderately heroic rider to be demanding more power while leaned over at, say, 55 degrees. If you are that person – perhaps factory BMW rider Troy Corser – you're free to disable the DTC with a long push of a single button.

Slick mode also allows access to wheelies without disabling the DTC, but there are still a couple of electronic nannies in place to keep a rider safe. Mono-wheeling remains verboten if the bike is at a lean angle greater than 23 degrees, and the duration of a wheelie is limited to five seconds of fun before the electronic cops are called in to spoil the party. If wheelies are a prerequisite in your hooligan world, simply turning off the DTC will enable your Jason Britton imitations.

One other noteworthy trait of Slick mode is that the rear brake loses its anti-lock control so your inner Ben Bostrom can pull hackers on corner entries. Truth be told, I barely remember even using the rear brake. The Brembo radial-mount front calipers and 320mm floating front rotors are deliciously powerful, exhibiting exemplary feel through steel-braided lines without a harsh initial bite.

I spent the rest of my day in Slick mode, as it was the closest comparison to the literbike rivals without disabling the traction control entirely. Positive impressions were plentiful.

First off, I was amazed at the grip and durability of the Racetech K3s. Good front-end feel and feedback through the beefy 46mm inverted fork inspired confidence, and the S1000 needed to be ridden quite aggressively before I could get the footpeg feelers to skim the pavement. Corner entries are aided by a back-torque-limiting (slipper) clutch that performed well.

Not a lot of time has passed since the recent construction of the Portimao circuit, so there weren't many bumps on which to test the S1000's fully adjustable suspension. As set up, it performed perfectly, and we award BMW kudos for giving each compression and rebound damping adjuster clearly labeled numbers from 1 to 10 to simplify keeping track of your settings. Front and rear ride heights are also adjustable.

Multiple trips to the S1000's redline gave plenty of opportunities to sample the characteristics of BMW Motorrad's highest specific-output engine ever, and I was surprised the non-counterbalanced engine didn't give off objectionable vibration at any speed. Christian Landerl, Executive VP Development and Model Lines, BMW Motorrad, told us it was because of the engine's lightweight components and the particular frame design.

Landerl, who began work on this project nearly five years ago, pointed out the Formula 1-influenced valvetrain that uses finger followers made of forged steel and treated with DLC to toggle the four titanium valves per cylinder – many engines with Ti poppets use steel valves on the exhaust side. Landerl claims the S1000's design allows valve actuation components to be 30% lighter than a conventional shim-under-bucket design, key to the high 14,200-rpm redline. Landerl says it could safely rev to 15K. As it is, the S1000 has fairly lengthy 12,500-mile valve adjustment intervals.

A View From The Paddock

David Robb, BMW's VP of Motorcycle Design, is a man accustomed to critiques of his innovative and somewhat unusual styling touches, often characterized by asymmetry like the headlights of the successful R1200GS. The S1000RR exhibits this somewhat peculiar element, seen most clearly in the headlights that some have described as “a winking pirate.”

The fairing's sidepanels also don't match. The duct in the left side fairing panel does the bulk of the work to vent heat generated from the radiator and engine, so much so that it was determined that the same design wasn't needed on the other side. Instead, the right side features a distinctive gill pattern

I was among those who was dubious of Robb's design when I first saw it in photos, but I've become a fan after seeing it in the flesh under many different lighting conditions. It is a compact, aggressive and purposeful design, with several smaller elements providing additional eye candy.

The black-anodized aluminum frame is nicely sculpted, and Robb says he went through about 47 frame designs before all performance and packaging requirements were met. My favorite component, looks-wise, is the brawny aluminum swingarm that is as cool as anything on the market. Thin-spoke wheels look and are lightweight. A large under-engine silencer box with a catalyzer allows a more fashionable stubby muffler than we've seen from several other manufacturers.

The Verdict
Purists might decry the litany of electronic rider aids available on BMW's first ultra-sportbike, but it's notable that not a single S1000RR hit the ground after two launch waves and some 80 journalists – even the Brits and Italians, who have a reputation for bending bikes, remained unscathed.

We applaud the way BMW has incorporated the electronics into the S1000, as the selectable modes essentially provide four motorcycles in one. And if you're too cool for DTC or traction control, they can be switched off with a push of a button.

I wasn't the only journalist at the launch who was highly impressed with BMW's new supersport literbike. It's devastatingly powerful yet easy to manage, and its electronics package is more advanced than anything from its rivals. It's also a responsive handler, its brakes are as good as they get and have the added safety benefit of ABS. I can't really think of any single thing it lacks.

Here's some perspective: The most annoying aspect of the bike was its sidestand's lack of a tang, making it mildly difficult to deploy with a race boot!

It's safe to assume that the Berlin-built S1000RR is going to blow away perceptions of BMW motorcycles, not the least of which is an MSRP that is only slightly higher than the Japanese competition.

“In my opinion, it's the most important product launch in our 85-year history,” Pieter De Waal, VP of BMW Motorrad USA, told Motorcycle.com.

De Waal added that BMW is only looking to nab about 10% of the lucrative literbike market. And if it doesn't?

“If it doesn't sell in high volume, you can probably talk to my successor to ask more questions,” he joked.
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Kör-rapporter av S1000RR

Inläggav Kungen » 2009-12-01/17:08

Första reportaget ute i affärerna idag.
Motorrad har ett test i nya numret som finns ute nu.

Väntar med spänning på ett konkurrenttest mot ett knippe japanska plastraketer.
//Lasse
Användarvisningsbild
Kungen

MCN testar literhojarna!

Inläggav Jonas » 2009-12-17/10:13

Nu har brittiska MCN testat liter hojarna i ett och samma test i de Franska alperna. Länken är till en Pdf fil av den inskannade artikeln.

http://public.me.com/avboden
Användarvisningsbild
Jonas

Inläggav MichaelWa » 2010-07-05/22:48

Jag är nyfiken vad du själv tycker Jonas om S1000RR, jämför gärna med HP2:an du hade innan.
Fd Imola
1:a gången m GS
MichaelWa

Inläggav Gunnar Elmgren » 2010-07-05/23:05

Senaste MC-folket som kom i brevlådan idag har ett test med S1000RR mot 6 av konkurrenterna. Kul läsning, t ex att bägge de bänktestade S1000RR gav över 200 hk på bakhjulet.....
/// Gunnar Elmgren
R1200GS
F650GS
R90S
CRF250L
701 E
Hva M24
Användarvisningsbild
Gunnar Elmgren

Inläggav Kovlingen » 2010-07-05/23:25

Över 200 hästar i denne lille moped . :o
Jag tror att jag blir lite mörkrädd ;)
Det gäller både att ha alla hästar i stallet och
alla korna i hagen om man bara ska provköra .
Till vidare klarar jag mej med mina 85 ponnyhästar :)
Håkan
R1200R
Användarvisningsbild
Kovlingen

Återgå till S1000 - modeller